So starting off, Skyward Sword HD was shown in the Nintendo Direct. Unfortunately we did not get any Breath of the Wild 2 news, but when they announced “well we’ve been working on this game, and we hope you enjoy it,” I knew immediately that Skyward Sword was about to be revealed. And 2 seconds later, Skyward Sword was being shown off for the Nintendo Switch in HD and 60 frames per second. I will admit, I never gave Skyward Sword a chance on the Nintendo Wii, so I am excited for it to be released for the Switch. Also, when it comes to those joycons, I am going to buy them and probably never open them.
However, the main question people were asking was, “Where is the Zelda 35th collection, or where are the Twilight Princess HD and Wind Waker HD ports that were rumored?”
So to answer this question, I’m going to break it down into a couple of points for you everyone. First off, just a reminder, take everything people say with a grain of salt. These are just my speculations and the patterns that I have seen with Nintendo here recently.
- So starting off, one of the reasons we haven’t seen anything on the Zelda 35th collection is because we are still in the Mario 35th anniversary life cycle. Mario’s 35th anniversary celebration does not end until March 31st of 2021, so we still have about a month and a half before we move on from Mario. I have a hunch that Nintendo wants to keep the focus on Mario as of right now until we are clear from his anniversary. Mario is an important franchise to Nintendo, and while Zelda is important as well, I feel that they don’t want to take away the spotlight from Mario.
- When it comes to the rumored Zelda 35th collection, we need to realize that we still have the back half of 2021 for more releases. This Nintendo Direct was primarily focused on the first half of 2021, with a couple of games that were announced for 2022. I think we need to calm down with the “oh my gosh, Zelda is not going to get celebrated” talk for right now. It is still way too early to decide whether or not Nintendo is not going to give the Zelda franchise the same treatment that the Mario franchise got in 2020. So many people are jumping to all of these rash conclusions. Just take a moment, breath, and it’s going to be okay.
- When it comes to the rumored Twilight Princess HD & Wind Waker HD ports that are being rumored for the Switch, I think that people need to calm down a little bit before making more rash conclusions that they are not coming to the Switch. Again, this Direct was primarily focused on the first half of 2021. Skyward Sword HD was a game that fell within that first half of the new year timeline. More than likely, if a Twilight Princess HD and Wind Waker HD port are coming to the Switch, it is probably going to be in the later half of 2021. Personally, if Breath of the Wild 2 is not released in 2021, I have a strong hunch that Nintendo will package Twilight Princess HD & Wind Waker HD on to one cartridge and release that as their holiday game. Or, there is a possibility that Nintendo releases Twilight Princess HD & Wind Waker HD separately for full price, but let’s not dwell on that too much.
- In fact, many gaming news outlets are still claiming that they know that it is 100% certain that Twilight Princess HD & Wind Waker HD are still coming to the Switch. How do they know that they are 100% accurate? Nobody knows, but only time will tell if these gaming news outlets are being honest with us gamers.
- In essence, I think that Zelda fans do not need to be worried about Twilight Princess HD & Wind Waker HD coming to the Switch. The main thing I am worried about is whether or not they are going to release these games separately for full price, or will they stick them on one Switch cartridge for full price. It would be a classic Nintendo move to sell them separately for full price, because hey, nostalgia sells.
Overall, I am happy that Skyward Sword HD is coming to the Switch. The joycons that are going to be released with the game are really nice, and I plan on picking them up if I can get my hands on them. When it comes to games like Breath of the Wild 2, Zelda 35th anniversary, Twilight Princess HD, and Wind Waker HD, I think we need to take a step back and realize that we are still in the early stages of 2021. Everything is going to be okay, and even if they don’t give us a 35th anniversary collection or Twilight Princess & Wind Waker HD, Breath of the Wild 2 should be released sometime in the future, so that’s something to look forward to for Zelda fans. But I am hoping that Ninetndo gives Zelda the same treatment that Mario got, because I 100% believe that Zelda deserves that type of treatment.